Zimbabwe court strikes out ban on protests
Zimbabwe: Zimbabwe's High Court in Harare on Wednesday struck
down a two-week ban on public protests issued by the police, a ruling
described as a brave decision by the court in the face of threats faced by the judiciary from President Robert Mugabe.
Deciding the case brought before it by political
activists, Judge
Priscilla Chigumba said the official police notice issued last week was invalid, and therefore
suspended.The recent protest was regarded as some of the worst public violence in two decades.
President Mugabe's opponents braced up in the last two months by rising public anger over economic situations in the country including severe cash shortages, high unemployment rate and delays in payment of public workers.
According to Tendai Biti, a lawyer and former finance minister who represented the four activists, said the police had no authority to issue such notice adding that they had violated the constitution by doing so.
After the ruling, Biti told reporters that Chigumba had issued "a brave judgment that asserts the independence of the courts."



No comments
Thanks for viewing. Your comments are appreciated.
Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Olomo TIMES, Readers are SOLELY responsible for their comments.
Need to contact us for Eyewitness news, Gossips reports, Adverts?
Email us on; olomotimes@gmail.com