Canada to retaliate for US tariffs, as ties reach breaking point after talks fail

Canada is preparing to hit back at the United States with a fresh round of tariffs after last-minute trade negotiations between the two neighbours collapsed, deepening what was once an exceptionally close economic relationship.

Prime Minister Mark Carney announced that Ottawa will impose “dollar-for-dollar” tariffs on selected U.S. imports from September 8, responding to President Donald Trump’s new 50% duties on a range of Canadian products.

The Canadian countermeasures will target U.S. steel, dairy products, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, electronics and other goods. Ottawa says more details will be released in the coming days.

The escalation follows the breakdown of three days of intensive negotiations that had briefly raised hopes of a new trade agreement. Instead, the talks ended late Friday with both governments blaming the other for the failure.

Carney made clear that Canada was unwilling to accept terms it considered damaging to its economic interests or sovereignty.

“We cannot accept what they have offered, and we will not give what they have asked,” Carney said.

He also rejected the suggestion that Ottawa should simply absorb the pressure from Washington. “Canada will match Washington’s new tariffs dollar for dollar in order to protect Canadian workers, farmers, families, and businesses.”

Asked whether Canada was now in a trade war with its largest trading partner, Carney offered an unusually blunt response: “You’re at war when you get attacked. We got attacked.”

Talks collapse at the final hurdle

The negotiations had appeared to be moving towards a possible agreement, with Trump even postponing the new tariffs to give negotiators additional time. That window closed after Washington introduced what Carney described as last-minute conditions that fundamentally changed the equation.

In a statement issued after the talks were suspended, Carney said Canada had been seeking tariff-free access for most of its businesses, greater certainty for exporters and protection for its ability to pursue independent trade relationships.

But, he said, the U.S. changed its proposed terms at the eleventh hour.

“In recent days, the U.S. proposed new terms that were uneconomic, unfair, and undermined the net benefits to Canada, calling into question the reliability of any deal.”

The Canadian government has separately said the disputed U.S. proposals touched on autos, future trade agreements and issues linked to Canadian culture, language and sovereignty.

Washington tells a different story.

U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer accused Canada of walking away from an agreement that would have given Ottawa preferential treatment.

“We’re moving forward with measures that respond to Canadian retaliation,” Greer told Fox News. “They’ve always had the best deal, and they still would have an even better deal, but they didn’t want that.”

Trump tariffs target $20 billion in Canadian exports

The new U.S. duties, which took effect after the talks failed, cover roughly $20 billion worth of Canadian exports and affect products ranging from wine and furniture to dairy goods, cement, clothing and hockey equipment. The measures apply to some products that had previously benefited from protection under the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade framework.

The tariffs represent only a portion of Canada’s exports to the United States, but economists and industry groups warn that the impact could be concentrated in vulnerable sectors.

Softwood lumber, wine and other industries could face higher costs, weaker demand, job losses and potential business closures.

Canadian business leaders are already preparing for the fallout.

“We will be mobilizing our network of businesses in all regions and all sectors to brace for impact and make the best of a bad situation,” said Candace Laing, CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce.

Ottawa has promised additional assistance for affected workers and companies, with Carney indicating that some support measures could remain in place for years.

Autos become a major fault line

One of the biggest obstacles to an agreement was the automobile industry.

Canadian negotiators wanted favourable tariff treatment already discussed for light-duty vehicles to extend to medium- and heavy-duty trucks. Washington resisted the move.

Carney said the U.S. position would have left Canadian-built models such as Ford’s F-350, F-450 and F-550 trucks, as well as General Motors’ Silverado, at a competitive disadvantage.

The dispute matters far beyond individual vehicle models. Canada’s auto industry is deeply integrated with U.S. manufacturing, meaning tariff changes can ripple across factories, suppliers and thousands of jobs on both sides of the border.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford, a leading critic of Trump’s tariffs, backed Carney’s decision not to accept the proposed agreement.

“I’m glad he didn’t sign that deal because it was a bad deal. It was a bad deal for Ontario. It was a bad deal for the auto sector, the steel sector, and manufacturing sector,” Ford told reporters.

Canada looks beyond Washington

The confrontation comes at a particularly sensitive moment for Canada, whose economy remains heavily tied to the United States.

But Carney has increasingly argued that Ottawa must reduce its dependence on its southern neighbour by expanding trade elsewhere and strengthening domestic economic capacity.

In an official statement, he said Canada’s existing free-trade arrangements already provide preferential access to 1.5 billion consumers, while Ottawa is working to expand that reach.

That strategy is becoming more urgent as the latest tariff fight raises fresh questions about the future of the North American trade relationship.

The broader U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade framework, which underpins more than $2 trillion in annual regional commerce, now faces another major test as Washington and Ottawa move further apart.

Carney’s government has promised to stand behind Canadian businesses while continuing to diversify the country's export markets.

The prime minister's message is increasingly clear: Ottawa is prepared to absorb short-term pain rather than accept a trade arrangement it believes compromises Canada's economic independence.

And with retaliatory tariffs set to begin on September 8, the dispute has moved beyond a negotiating standoff.

It is now a full-blown test of how far two of North America’s closest economic partners are willing to go against each other.

No comments

Thanks for viewing. Your comments are appreciated.

Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Olomo TIMES, Readers are SOLELY responsible for their comments.

Need to contact us for Eyewitness news, Gossips reports, Adverts?
Email us on; olomotimes@gmail.com

Powered by Blogger.