Italy earthquake: Death toll rises to 247
Italy: Death toll from the 6.2 magnitude earthquake
in central Italy has risen to 247 after rescue
teams worked through the night trying to rescue survivors under the rubble
of devastated towns.
National and regional officials said the provisional death toll rose from 159 listed on Wednesday to 247 as a wave of aftershocks shook a group of mountain communities 140km east of Rome.
The strong earthquake struck in the early hours of Wednesday as residents slept, destroying homes and buckling roads. The earthquake was so powerful that it was felt in Bologna to the north and Naples to the south, cities that are more than 220km away from the epicentre.
Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi on Wednesday said at least 368 wounded residents had been taken to hospital.
The mayor of Amatrice, one of the worst hit town said one hotel collapsed with about 70 guests but only seven bodies had been recovered so far.
Rescue teams working with emergency lighting during the night saved a 10-year-old girl, pulling her alive from the rubble where she had been trapped for almost 17 hours in the hamlet of Pescara del Tronto.
Prime Minister Renzi told reporters on Wednesday that his cabinet would meet later on Thursday to decide on measures to help the affected communities.
"Today is a day for tears, tomorrow we can talk of reconstruction."
Majority of the damage occurred in Lazio and Marche regions with Lazio bearing the effect of the damage and the highest toll. Neighbouring Umbria was also affected.



No comments
Thanks for viewing. Your comments are appreciated.
Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Olomo TIMES, Readers are SOLELY responsible for their comments.
Need to contact us for Eyewitness news, Gossips reports, Adverts?
Email us on; olomotimes@gmail.com