One dead, three injured as former student armed with sword attacks high school in Sweden
A sword attack at a high school in central Sweden has left one person dead and three others injured, after an 18-year-old suspect reportedly stormed the school and was shot by police before being taken into custody.
The attack happened on Friday afternoon at Brinell High School in Fagersta, a town of about 13,000 people, just as the school had reopened following its summer break. The school has around 450 students aged 16 to 20.
Police said they received an emergency call at 2:06pm, reporting what was described as suspected ongoing deadly violence. Officers and emergency services immediately rushed to the school.
“We received an alarm at 2.06pm (12.06pm GMT) about suspected deadly violence and sent all available resources to the school.”
At a subsequent press conference, police confirmed that the suspect was an 18-year-old man who was shot and arrested during the operation. Authorities said there was no indication that another attacker was involved and that there was no longer a danger to the public.
Former student reportedly behind attack
Swedish public broadcaster SVT reported that the suspect was a former student of the school and had previously been convicted of assault. He was reportedly carrying a sword and wearing a helmet when he entered the school.
Police have not publicly disclosed a motive.
Authorities are examining surveillance footage and interviewing a large number of witnesses as investigators try to establish exactly what happened inside the school.
Students fled in panic
Two teenage boys were seriously injured in the attack, while another person was also injured. One of the victims was later reported dead. A third injured person was treated and released from hospital.
Student Abdulrahem Salmo described the terrifying moments after the attack began.
“Then people called the police and we just all ran from there because we were afraid.”
He said he had seen one victim with a bloody wound to the arm.
Madelene Jansson, whose daughter was at the school, said she initially received a message from her daughter telling her that someone had been stabbed.
“I first got a text message from her that somebody had been stabbed and that police were on the way. Then it all just went off. It feels unreal.”
The school was quickly surrounded by police, ambulances and other emergency responders.
Fagersta placed on lockdown
Several schools and public facilities in Fagersta were temporarily placed under lockdown as police worked to establish whether there was any continuing threat. The restrictions were subsequently lifted after the suspect was detained.
The Västmanland regional authority said it moved into a heightened state of preparedness to coordinate medical resources and respond to the incident. A crisis centre was also established to support students and relatives affected by the attack.
Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said the government was closely monitoring the situation and urged the public to allow police and emergency workers to carry out their duties.
“We do not know what lies behind the act, but we know that police are working very intensively.”
He added: “Our thoughts are with all those affected.”
Social Democratic leader Magdalena Andersson also expressed solidarity with the town, saying: “All of Sweden stands together with Fagersta at this difficult time.”
Attack revives painful memories
The violence has inevitably brought back memories of Sweden's worst mass shooting, which took place in Ă–rebro in February 2025, when a gunman killed 10 people before taking his own life.
Friday's attack is therefore likely to renew national debate over school security and violence, particularly as the latest incident occurred on the first days of a new academic year.
For now, investigators are focused on establishing the suspect's motive, reconstructing his movements before the attack and determining whether any warning signs were missed.
One person has died, three others were injured, and the suspect remains in custody as Sweden confronts yet another violent attack at a school.

No comments
Thanks for viewing. Your comments are appreciated.
Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Olomo TIMES, Readers are SOLELY responsible for their comments.
Need to contact us for Eyewitness news, Gossips reports, Adverts?
Email us on; olomotimes@gmail.com