13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks on route to Italy

At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat sank off the Tunisian coast while attempting to reach Italy, with two people rescued from the Mediterranean, according to the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights.

The boat departed early Thursday, according to Mostafa Abdelkebir, head of the rights group, who spoke to Reuters on Saturday. One of the survivors told rescuers aboard a local boat that they had spent hours stranded at sea after the vessel capsized. The second survivor was reportedly in critical condition. 

Local reports indicate the vessel may have been carrying about 15 people when it left the area around Ben Guerdane in southeastern Tunisia, although the exact number aboard remains subject to confirmation. Search efforts were continuing.

Mediterranean crossing turns deadly again

The latest tragedy highlights the continuing dangers faced by migrants attempting to cross the central Mediterranean, one of the world's most hazardous migration routes.

Tunisia has historically been one of the main departure points for people attempting the sea journey to Europe. Departures, however, have fallen sharply over the past two years amid intensified maritime patrols and tighter border controls supported by European funding, particularly from Italy. 

Despite the tougher controls, dangerous crossings continue, with migrants frequently relying on overcrowded or poorly equipped vessels that can become unstable within hours of leaving shore.

Rights groups challenge EU-Tunisia migration policy

The latest sinking has also renewed scrutiny of Europe's cooperation with Tunisia on migration.

Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and several other humanitarian organisations said last month that the EU-Tunisia migration agreement had contributed to what they described as serious abuses against migrants and asylum seekers.

The organisations called on the European Union to suspend funding for migration and border-control operations involving Tunisian security forces. Tunisia has not accepted the allegations and has repeatedly argued that it is carrying a disproportionate burden from migration flows.

President Kais Saied has previously described the influx of migrants as a threat to Tunisia's demographic composition.

A dangerous route to Europe

For those attempting the crossing, the journey can quickly become a fight for survival.

A capsized vessel can leave passengers exposed to the sea for hours before rescue arrives, as one of the survivors in this latest incident reportedly experienced.

The disaster comes as European countries continue efforts to reduce irregular migration across the Mediterranean, while human rights organisations argue that tougher controls alone do not eliminate the desperation driving people to attempt the crossing.

For the families of the 13 missing Tunisians, however, the immediate concern is much more personal: whether those lost at sea can still be found alive.

No comments

Thanks for viewing. Your comments are appreciated.

Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Olomo TIMES, Readers are SOLELY responsible for their comments.

Need to contact us for Eyewitness news, Gossips reports, Adverts?
Email us on; olomotimes@gmail.com

Powered by Blogger.