Venezuela condemns Trump’s airspace closure threat as ‘colonialist’ violation of sovereignty
The Venezuelan government has responded defiantly to the heightened pressure by the US government, including Donald Trump’s recent statements on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela is to be closed in its entirety.
Trump made the threat in a Truth Social post, stating: “To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.”
In a statement, the Venezuelan government condemned Trump’s comments, labelling the declaration a “colonialist threat” against their sovereignty and a violation of international law. The government also demanded respect for its airspace and said it would not accept foreign orders or threats.
Due to Trump’s announcement, all migrant deportation flights were “unilaterally suspended,” the Venezuelan government added. Deportation flights to Venezuela have been a significant point of contention for the Trump administration as it continues its mass deportation programme.
The US defence department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Escalating US military pressure
US forces in the region have been engaged in counter-narcotics operations for months, with strikes against alleged drug boats in the Caribbean and a military buildup in the region. Trump has also authorised covert CIA operations in Venezuela.
The president told military service members this week that the US would “very soon” begin land operations to stop suspected Venezuelan drug traffickers.
US forces have so far focused on counter-narcotics operations, although the assembled firepower far outweighs anything needed for them. They have carried out at least 21 strikes on alleged drug boats in the Caribbean and Pacific since September, killing at least 83 people.
The Trump administration has accused Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro of involvement in drug trafficking, a charge he has denied. Maduro, in power since 2013, has maintained that Trump is seeking to oust him and that Venezuelan citizens and the military will resist any such attempt.
Last week, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) warned major airlines of a “potentially hazardous situation” when flying over Venezuela due to a “worsening security situation and heightened military activity in or around” the South American country. Venezuela revoked operating rights for six major international airlines that had suspended flights to the country after the FAA warning.
With information taken from The Guardian.

No comments
Thanks for viewing, your comments are appreciated.
Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Olomo TIMES, Readers are SOLELY responsible for their comments.
Need to contact us for gossips, news reports, adverts or anything?
Email us on; olomoinfo@gmail.com