Akinci addresses the nation- Blame the south for failed talks, say the North will continue to improve and develop itself
President
of the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus, Mustafa Akincı in an address to the nation on Wednesday to mark the 43rd anniversary of the July 20 Peace
Operation, said Greek
Cypriot side’s main objective was to become the sole ruler of the island
instead of equal partners with the Turkish Cypriots adding that the foundations of a bi-zonal, bi-communal
settlement on the basis of two constituent states had been laid down
following the operation more than four decades ago.
Speaking in a live televised address to the nation on Wednesday, Akinci who blamed the Greek Cypriot side for the failure of the Conference on Cyprus, held in Switzerland’s Crans Montana between June 28 and July 7 said Turkey had prevented Cyprus’ union with Greece (Enosis) by exercising its rights stemming from the 1960 agreements.
Speaking on the recently failed reunification talks Akıncı said unfortunately all efforts to reach a bi-zonal, bi-communal federal settlement had failed adding that for the first time in the history of the negotiations, maps had been exchanged and a five- party conference had been held.
According to him, attempts by the Greek Cypriot side to portray the convening of a five-party conference as if it was their success were far from the truth, as this had been possible only with the efforts of the Turkish Cypriot side and Turkey, reports BRT.
Constructive efforts by Turkey and the Turkish Cypriot side was observed and witnessed by all attending parties and observers, said Akinci.
According to him, the Turkish Cypriot side sought the security and freedom of not only Turkish Cypriots but Greek Cypriots as well.
On the remaining issues, he said the Greek Cypriot side came to the table with proposals that would make things difficult for Turkish Cypriots and which would undermine the Turkish Cypriot economy.
He concluded his speech by stating that the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus will continue to improve and develop itself domestically while continuing its responsibility towards building a peaceful future on this island.
Culled from BRT
Speaking in a live televised address to the nation on Wednesday, Akinci who blamed the Greek Cypriot side for the failure of the Conference on Cyprus, held in Switzerland’s Crans Montana between June 28 and July 7 said Turkey had prevented Cyprus’ union with Greece (Enosis) by exercising its rights stemming from the 1960 agreements.
It was because of the 20 July Peace Operation that the framework for a possible settlement was drawn in the 1977-79 High Level Agreements, he said.
Speaking on the recently failed reunification talks Akıncı said unfortunately all efforts to reach a bi-zonal, bi-communal federal settlement had failed adding that for the first time in the history of the negotiations, maps had been exchanged and a five- party conference had been held.
According to him, attempts by the Greek Cypriot side to portray the convening of a five-party conference as if it was their success were far from the truth, as this had been possible only with the efforts of the Turkish Cypriot side and Turkey, reports BRT.
More importantly we showed the necessary flexibility, we expressed our readiness to amend the existing treaties and waited for the Greek Cypriot side to distance itself from its position of ‘Zero troops, zero guarantees’ and to come to a reasonable starting point. Unfortunately the Greek Cypriot side did not abandon its position, he said.
Constructive efforts by Turkey and the Turkish Cypriot side was observed and witnessed by all attending parties and observers, said Akinci.
We have no responsibility in the failure to reach an outcome despite our strong desire for a solution, he added.
According to him, the Turkish Cypriot side sought the security and freedom of not only Turkish Cypriots but Greek Cypriots as well.
We could not accept the removal of our only source of security when the bitter experiences of the past are still so fresh and without living and seeing what will happen. There is nothing in this that is in line with good will and sincerity”, he said, adding that the Greek Cypriot side’s reluctance to accept a rotating presidency and active participation in decision making was proof of this.
The Greek Cypriot side, which has been control of the state since 1964, is having difficultly sharing this with us. It is finding it difficult to come to terms with the very basic essence and principle of a settlement, he said.
On the remaining issues, he said the Greek Cypriot side came to the table with proposals that would make things difficult for Turkish Cypriots and which would undermine the Turkish Cypriot economy.
The Greek Cypriots refused to understand that the uncertainty of the property rules they proposed would become an important reason for a possible settlement plan to be rejected in a future referendum, he said.He accused the Greek Cypriot side of provoking EU officials regarding the issue of equal status of Turkish and Greek nationals in the event of a settlement through a campaign of lies.
He concluded his speech by stating that the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus will continue to improve and develop itself domestically while continuing its responsibility towards building a peaceful future on this island.
We want to live in peace as two communities on this land and geography. The conditions for this can only be established together (with the Greek Cypriots). The time that passed worsened the division. The division will be more concrete. This needs to be seen. We will continue the evaluation process with Turkey in the coming days. We will be calm and realistic, he said.
Culled from BRT

No comments
Thanks for viewing. Your comments are appreciated.
Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Olomo TIMES, Readers are SOLELY responsible for their comments.
Need to contact us for Eyewitness news, Gossips reports, Adverts?
Email us on; olomotimes@gmail.com