Cyprus Talks: Leaders to meet United Nations Secretary-General in bid to overcome challenges

Cyprus: Both leaders of the divided Cyprus island, the Greek Cypriot president Nicos Anastasiades and the Turkish Cypriot leader, Akinci Mustafa in a joint statement on Wednesday reiterated their commitment to reach a settlement, and announced that they will hold a joint meeting with the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki Mon on September 25 in New York as challenges continue to exist in the reunification talks.

“Cognizant of the remaining challenges, the two leaders are committed to continuing and intensifying their efforts in these leader-led negotiations in the coming months with the aim of reaching a comprehensive agreement within 2016,” a joint statement said.
The statement added that for this purpose, the two leaders will hold a joint meeting with the UN Secretary-General later in the month in New York.

In the joint statement, read by UN Special Adviser Espen Barth Eide, it stated that significant progress has been achieved on many of the outstanding issues including the Chapters of Governance and Power-Sharing, Economy, EU matters and Property.
But “However, certain substantial divergences still remain.”

The joint statement was meant to inform the general public on the progress achieved so far concerning the ongoing negotiations between the two leaders during an intensive round of talks that included eight meetings.

According to the joint statement, the two leaders also exchanged views and positions, in a brainstorming manner, on the Chapters of Security and Guarantees, as well as Territory.
“Although these initial exchanges have demonstrated that the respective views remain apart, there is a strong determination to resolve them in a mutually acceptable manner” the statement reads.
The two leaders will during their meeting with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, take stock of the state of play in the negotiations and inform him of their achievements to date as well as the challenges ahead.
“… they will request him to intensify his personal engagement in the process in the months to come” the statement reads.
According to president Anastasiades, who spoke with reporters after the meeting, he made it clear that the UN Secretary General’s involvement did not mean him engaging in arbitration, an anathema to Greek Cypriots since the rejection of the previous reunification blueprint, the Annan plan, in 2004.
“That is why it is said in the announcement that it is a procedure, which belongs and is guided by the leaders of the two communities.”
When asked if he was optimistic about a settlement, Anastasiades said a likelihood for a settlement will arise if the Turkish Cypriot side showed understanding for Greek Cypriot concerns as the latter did towards theirs.
Anastasiades also added that both leaders could continue their talks on an intensive basis.
“… out intention is to succeed by utilizing the next months. As ambitious as it may seem, it is feasible, if there is mutual understanding towards both sides’ worries, especially on sensitive matters that concern the Greek Cypriot side.”
President Anastasiades said he will be briefing the Cypriot people after his return from the UN's trip.
Source: Cyprus Mail

No comments

Thanks for viewing. Your comments are appreciated.

Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Olomo TIMES, Readers are SOLELY responsible for their comments.

Need to contact us for Eyewitness news, Gossips reports, Adverts?
Email us on; olomotimes@gmail.com

Powered by Blogger.