Cyprus Talks: Cyprus reunification talk to resume after UN intervention

Reunification talk between Cyprus and North Cyprus will resume again after Cyprus president Nicos Anastasiades said he's ready to resume negotiations from where things left off after a temporary stop due to a perceived effort to diplomatically upgrade North Cyprus.

In a statement, President Nicos Anastasiades said he is pleased that the United Nations has clarified there's no change to its policy of recognizing only the government of the Republic of Cyprus which is a United Nation member. The clarification came in a telephone call from U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Friday morning.

Recall that Cyprus president Nicos Anastasiades had on Tuesday last week called off Friday's scheduled meeting with Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci following his invitation to a state dinner during a U.N summit on Monday in Istanbul.
The statement said the U.N. rebuffed "those who strived in Istanbul to portray and promote the erroneous picture of the upgrading of the illegal regime in the occupied areas."
Akinci attended the Istanbul dinner at the invitation of Turkey's president. But the Cypriot government insisted the U.N.'s "bad handling" of the issue was to blame for the fallout.
Negotiations could be stepped up as long as there are no more "similar phenomena by whomever is involved in the process which would only serve to undermine" peace efforts, said Anastasiades.
According to Cyprus government spokesman Nicos Christodoulides no date has been set yet for the next meeting between the two leaders.

2 comments:

  1. Great goods from you, man. I have consider your stuff previous
    to and you are simply too excellent. I really like what you have acquired here, really like
    what you are stating and the way in which you
    assert it. You are making it enjoyable and you still take care of
    to keep it sensible. I can't wait to learn much
    more from you. That is really a wonderful website.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for viewing. Your comments are appreciated.

Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Olomo TIMES, Readers are SOLELY responsible for their comments.

Need to contact us for Eyewitness news, Gossips reports, Adverts?
Email us on; olomotimes@gmail.com

Powered by Blogger.